Today In PT

 

Cystic Fibrosis - PT534

Cystic Fibrosis

No Cure Yet, But Treatment Advances Continue

by Deborah S. Boroughs, MSN, RN and Joan A. Dougherty, RN, BSN, CPN, CSN
PT534
(4.4 / 3462 ratings )

This course is credentialed for:
Physical Therapy (1.00 Hour(s))

ONLINE
Price: $19.00
CE-PRO Price: $9.50

Summary:

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder. The primary manifestations include progressive obstructive lung disease and pancreatic insufficiency, but patients also may experience chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps, malnutrition, distal intestinal obstructive syndrome, diabetes, liver cirrhosis, pancreatitis, gallstones, and infertility. To have cystic fibrosis, a child must inherit two abnormal cystic fibrosis genes, one from each parent. The parents usually have just one abnormal gene, are asymptomatic, and are called carriers. Each time two carriers have a child, there is a 25% chance the baby will have cystic fibrosis, a 50% chance the baby will be a healthy carrier, and a 25% chance the baby will be a healthy noncarrier. This module provides updated information on the treatment and management of people with cystic fibrosis.

Objectives:

The goal of this cystic fibrosis continuing education module is to help nurses, physicians, and physical therapists gain a deeper understanding of cystic fibrosis and the treatments available, as well as to become informed about the latest research. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
  • Describe the basic defect that causes cystic fibrosis and how it affects different organ systems
  • Identify three therapies for the management of pulmonary and GI disease in patients with cystic fibrosis
  • Explain teaching and support responsibilities
  • Discuss research and the future of cystic fibrosis
 

 
Accreditation Information
 
This course is intended for multiple professions, including nurses, physicians and physical therapists.
 
Physical therapists: Take this version of the course to ensure you receive appropriate credit.
 
For the version accredited or approved for another profession, go to your specific profession at ContinuingEducation.com or Nurse.com/CE. If you have a CE Direct login ID and password (generally provided by your employer), please log in as you normally would at CEDirect.ContinuingEducation.com and search for this topic title.
 
OnCourse Learning is an approved sponsor by the NY State Education Department of Continuing Education for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants from 10/21/09 to 10/20/18.
 
This activity is provided by the TX Board of PT Examiners Accredited Provider GED012010TPTA2012004 for 01/01/2010 to 01/31/2013; 1601004 for 02/01/2013 to 01/31/2016; and 1902004TX for 02/01/2016 to 01/31/2019 and meets continuing competence requirements for physical therapist and physical therapist assistant licensure renewal in Texas. The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE.
 
OnCourse Learning is recognized by the Physical Therapy Board of CA as an approved reviewer and provider of continuing competency courses for the state of CA.
 
OnCourse Learning is a licensed PT CE sponsor (#216.000275) with the IL Department of Financial and Professional Regulation from July 2013 through 9/30/2018.
 
This course has been approved as meeting the continuing education requirements for PTs and PTAs by:
 
The OH Physical Therapy Association (approval no. 11S1771 for 11/29/11 to 11/29/12, 12S1693 for 11/30/12 to 11/30/13; 13S1887 for 12/01/13 to 12/01/14; 14S1732 for 12/02/14 to 12/02/15; 15S2368 for 12/03/15 to 12/03/16; 16S1693 for 07/26/16 to 07/26/17).
 
The FL Physical Therapy Association (approval no. CE110017871 for 01/01/11 to 12/31/11, CE120018043 for 01/01/12 to 12/31/12, CP130019782 for 01/01/13 to 12/31/13; CE140021543 for 01/01/14 to 12/31/14; CE150023804 for 01/01/15 to 12/31/15; CE16-27026 for 01/01/16 to 12/31/16; CE17-538164 for 01/01/17 to 12/31/17). Approval of this course does not necessarily imply the FL Physical Therapy Association supports the views of the presenter or the sponsors.
 
The TN Physical Therapy Association for Class 1 CE Requirement (approval no. 4114 for 12/05/11 to 12/04/12, 4552 for 12/05/12 to 12/04/13; 5249 for 12/05/13 to 12/04/14; 5814 for 12/05/14 to 12/04/15; 2212 for 12/05/15 to 12/04/16; 2016-208 for 12/05/16 to 12/04/17).
 
The PA Board of Physical Therapy (approval no. PTCE002772 for 01/14/12 to 12/31/12; PTCE004233 for 01/26/13 to 12/31/14; PTCE006366 for 01/01/15 to 12/31/16; PTCE009930 for 01/01/17 to 12/31/18).
 
The NJ Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (approval no. 182-2012 for 02/01/12 to 01/31/14; 201-2014 for 02/01/14 to 01/31/16; 2016-378 for 02/01/16 to 01/31/18).
 
This course has been approved by:
 
The MD State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 0.1 CEU for 12/14/11 to 12/14/15; 11/15/15 to 11/15/19.
 
The NV State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 0.1 units of CE for 12/09/11 to 07/31/13; 07/31/13 to 07/31/15; 07/31/15 to 07/31/17.
 
The IL Chapter CE Committee has certified that this course meets the criteria for approval of CE offerings established by The IL Physical Therapy Association (approval no. 437-4105 for 01/01/12 to 01/01/13, 437-4604 for 01/01/13 to 01/01/14). According to the Rules for the Administration of the IL Physical Therapy Act (section 13460.61) published by the IL Department of Professional Regulation, a PT orPTA applying for re-licensure in IL can earn a maximum of 50 percent of their required CE hours from self-study. The hours awarded of this course are designated for self-study CE credit.
 
Other states may accept this course for meeting their CE requirements. Check with your state association or board.

Course Originally Released on: 11/1/2011
Date of Most Recent Review: 3/22/2017
Course Termination/Update Date: 3/22/2020

 

Unless stated above, the planners and authors of this course have declared no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to this educational activity. OnCourse Learning guarantees this educational activity is free from bias.

Please see CE Course Instructions to learn how to earn CE credit for this module.

 

For Florida professionals:

This course completion will be electronically reported to CE Broker as required per Florida Statute 456.025(7). Click here to view your CE Broker transcript and check the status of your CE requirements with a FREE 7-day CE Broker trial subscription. It may take up to 24 hours for the course to appear on your CE Broker transcript.

It is now required that all CE is completed and reported to CE Broker before you renew your license. When you complete continuing education with us, OnCourse Learning will report your hours for you.

Read more about the new license renewal process at AreYouRenewalReady.com and claim your free Basic Account in CE Broker to see what has already been reported for you.

Please check the licenses/certifications section under my account (after logging in) to make sure you have entered a valid FL license number. This information is required for correct reporting of your course completions to CE Broker.

Sort By
MATTHEW J - HENDERSON, NV  ·  May 22, 2017
Informative and something i will use at work
Was this review helpful?  0
 
Mark M - Buda, TX  ·  Apr 28, 2017
-------------------------------------------------------
Was this review helpful?  0
 
Alex C - Costa Mesa, CA  ·  Feb 14, 2017
great course learned alot
Was this review helpful?  0
 
Linda D - Philadelphia, PA  ·  Jan 30, 2017
course is informative
Was this review helpful?  0
 
STACY J - Memphis, TN  ·  Jan 28, 2017
Great course. Very informative.
Was this review helpful?  0
 
  Page: of 157  
ONLINE
Price: $19.00
CE-PRO Price: $9.50